Re: "create database" problem on linux 7.2

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 06:35:10 +0200

On 6 May 2002 16:10:26 -0700, ibodogan_at_hotmail.com (Ibrahim DOGAN) wrote:

>Sybrand:
>
>I looked into many manuals/books but never seen something like
>"only unix user named 'oracle' can create a database." or
>"only installatio user can create database".
>
>I know all installation guides use the "oracle" user but never seen explicit
>restriction about it.
>
>I'd be more than happy if you poin it out.

There is one quite simple answer to this one: Please check the privileges and the ownership of your datafiles. What will you see? Only the owner has the rw privilege. Which user is that? The owner of the software installation, oracle. So, is it possible, to create a database under a different user, without reinstalling the software under that user? NO

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Mon May 06 2002 - 23:35:10 CDT