Re: lies damn lies and benchmarks

From: Mike Ault <mikerault_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 6 May 2002 11:55:58 -0700

mikerault_at_earthlink.net (Mike Ault) wrote in message news:<37fab3ab.0205060617.458693b7_at_posting.google.com>...

> "Chris Weiss" <chris_at_hpdbe.com> wrote in message news:<aauvlh$2200$1_at_msunews.cl.msu.edu>...

> > I live eat and breath Oracle most days, but unfortunately on equivalent
> > hardware, Oracle gets creamed by SQL Server:
> >
> > http://www.tpc.org/
> >
> > Even on larger Unix boxes, smaller Windows machines with SQL Server tend to
> > outperform Oracle. Of course, this says nothing about stability, cost of
> > ownership, etc. In my experience, it is *much* easier to administer and
> > tune a stand alone SQL Server machine compared to a stand alone Oracle
> > database on Unix, but with multiple boxes requiring several similar
> > databases, Oracle is much easier to administer. To Oracle's credit, I have
> > yet to see a BSOD or its equivalent where there was not a serious hardware
> > problem on a high end Unix box running Oracle, but Oracle does and has had
> > its fair share of bugs.
> >
> > In the long run, the choice of database really comes down to what the client
> > wants, what the needs of the application are, and what the host site can
> > afford. Oracle has a much higher dollar to performance ratio than SQL
> > Server, which is why SQL Server is still around and Oracle still needs to
> > stay hungry and competitive.
> >
> > Since I like administering things in Unix so much better than Windows, I
> > will always have a bias toward software that runs on Unix. However, that is
> > no reason not to be honest about my bread and butter - Oracle.
> >
> > I think DB2 and SQL Server both pose serious threats to Oracle, and I hope
> > that Oracle takes this seriously and continues improving its product. From
> > my perspective, Oracle has dropped the ball with respect to performance in
> > favor of features. Since DB2 and SQL server outperform Oracle and are
> > catching up with respect to features, this can only go on for so long before
> > Oracle begins to fall back quickly.
> >
> > --
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Chris Weiss
> > mailto:chris_at_hpdbe.com
> > www.hpdbe.com
> > High Performance Database Engineering
> > Available for long and short term contracts
> >

> > "Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message
> > > I see that according to the high performance labs at accupuncture (sorry
> > > accenture) that MSSQL outperforms Oracle running SAP R/3. It turns out
>  that

> > > this is MSSQL 2000 sp2 compared with Oracle 8.0.4! Does anyone know how
>  old

> > > 8.0.4 actually is?
> > >

> > > --
> > > Niall Litchfield
> > > Oracle DBA
> > > Audit Commission UK
> > > Please include version and platform
> > > and SQL where applicable
> > > It makes life easier and increases the
> > > likelihood of a good answer

> [...]

Looking at the most current top ten values overall Oracle achieves a TPCC/CPU-MGHTZ rating of 8.11 beaten only by Symphonies 8.24 (whatever the heck Symphony is) SQL2000 comes in 4th place at 3.36. The most bang for the buck comes in with Oracle's 1,019,668.87 per TPCC/CPU-Mghrtz against SQL2000 at 1,592,560.56. UDB comes in at 4.92 and a cost of 1,733,687.45. UDB beats SQL2000 in TPCC/CPU-Mghtz but looses in overall price. Oracle beats both handling when you remove the obscuring junk in the numbers. Received on Mon May 06 2002 - 13:55:58 CDT