Re: import of BLOBs slow?

From: NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 18:02:39 GMT

That's good stuff, but
a) it doesn't answer my question,
b) restoring from hot backups would not make sense to use to restore a single table
c) I did not indicate that we're not using such backups d) recovering from hot backups wouldn't make recovering this table faster

On Sat, 4 May 2002 05:11:20 -0500, "Steve Ashmore" <sashmore_at_neonramp.com> wrote:

>You may wish to reconsider your backup strategy.
>exp/imp is good for a secondary strategy or good for very small databases.
>For large databases you shold turn on
>archive logging and impliment hot backups.
>
>Stephen C. Ashmore
>Brainbench MVP for Oracle Administration
>http://www.brainbench.com
>
>Author of 'So You Want to be an Oracle DBA?'
>
>"NetComrade" <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net> wrote in message
>> We had a minor crash of one of our applications yesterday, which was
>> writing to some BLOBs in the database.
>>
>> Given that it was almost impossible to fix the BLOBs we decided to
>> recover from last night's backup (exp).
>>
>> Would be nice if Oracle had a query option for the imp command as well
>> :)
>>
>> Anyway, the export of 60K rows or so of about 800MB in total size,
>> took about an hour. Given, that this is the first application we are
>> using that requires the use of BLOBs, and that we expect this table to
>> grow to gigs of data few months from now, it worries me that the
>> recovery times might become too long down the line. Maybe I am just
>> being paranoid, since the import occured at high load times (almost
>> 100% cpus were utilized), but I'd like to hear if anybody had similar
>> experiences and had any interesting findings.
>>
>> Right off the bat, I probably should have disabled logging on the
>> LOBs, and if there is no easy solution, consider partitioning the
>> table in the future..
>>
>> Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanx.
>> We use Oracle 8.1.7.3 on Solaris 2.7 boxes
>> remove NSPAM to email

We use Oracle 8.1.7.3 on Solaris 2.7 boxes remove NSPAM to email Received on Mon May 06 2002 - 13:02:39 CDT