High-Speed/Volume Database

From: Bob Smith <gatesucks_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 6 May 2002 09:36:59 -0700

We are designing an application that needs to use a relational database to hold quite a large amount of data.

In particular there is one table that has about 33 fields, 18 indexes, and 120 bytes per record. Additionally, we are going to need to add about 2 million records per day to the table, delete about 2 million records per day from the table, hold 2 weeks worth of data within the database (approx. 30 million records), and sustain an average add rate of about 23 records per second while, at the same time, sustaining an average delete rate of 23 records per second.

My questions are, what database software should we use, what kind of hardware platform will be needed to support the specifications enumerated above, and what kind of average query performance can we expect? Received on Mon May 06 2002 - 11:36:59 CDT