Re: separate data/inidex

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 12:17:58 +0100

Mike,

How many discs do you have in your laptop ? (Can I assume just one)

Do you use your laptop as a dedicated
Oracle server with no other conflicting
resource demands on the disc
(Clearly not, as you point out, you are doing lots of examples all the time, and no doubt documenting it, and as you point out "running other applications").

How much space does NT allocate for swap during the course of the day on that one disc. and how much impact does that have on your processing ? (I upgraded my childrens' PC with 128MB of RAM a little while ago, and do you know what goes faster ? Shutting down -I think because the shutdown command no longer has to re-read the swap to find out that it doesn't have any tidying up to do).

I'm not arguing that you are wrong, of course, but I don't really think that you can quote your laptop as a valid example on this one - there are too many other factors involved.

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Author of:

Next Seminar - Australia - July/August

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ

<37fab3ab.0205050725.56ca9efc_at_posting.google.com>...