Re: http://www.hjrdba.com/

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 13:17:10 +0400

> Let's say an intruder captures sensitive information from Oracle
> unbreakable database in your company because of the bug '2121935 -
> SELECT USING CROSS JOIN WITH DUAL DOES NOT CHECK FOR USER PRIVILEGES'.
> What will you do? You will ask patch from Oracle. That's those
> hundreds of thousands of patchs for. Nonody will sue Oracle. If you do
> want to sue Oracle, have a look at Oracle License and Services
> Agreement: 'ORACLE DOES NOT GUARANTEE THAT THE PROGRAMS WILL PERFORM
> ERROR-FREE OR UNINTERRUPTED OR THAT ORACLE WILL CORRECT ALL PROGRAM
> ERRORS.' Could oracle guarantee the accuracy of its docs, even though
> they cannot guarantee its program? I think the answer is no. Can
> Howard do the same thing? Put 'I DO NOT GUARANTEE ......' on his site.

Don't you love software business? ;) It's about the only business where you are able to disclaim any responsibility for the quality of the products you make. Can you imagine buying any product without proper guarantee? Yet the whole world purchases licenses for software with no guaranties of any kind that the software will perform as intended and described in accompanying documentation, in contrary, all such guarantees are expressly disclaimed. No matter the extent of your losses if the software misbehaves, in the best case you are only guaranteed for refund of your license fees. Great business, isn't it? ;)