Re: separate data/inidex

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 21:37:30 +1000

In article <3CD435DA.5DFF863E_at_exesolutions.com>, you said (and I quote):
> But the reality is that no-one in the real-world has the time to try
> installing Veritas and striping one way, installing the application,
> benchmarking it.
> snippage of very good points.

Yeah, good point. That's where exchange of ideas and sharing info becomes so crucial. Be it in seminars, Usenet, mail lists, forums (fora?) or whatever else takes your fancy. And one of the reasons I like this NG. There is always a different opinion or related experience. Which is important to know about. The bottom line is to remain critical and analyze if someone else's solution or problem is applicable to your environment. That's where being able to analyze an alternative becomes critical.

One thing needs to be said. Often people try ideas and methods picked up from here. And not always do they understand the complete context of someone else's solution. That's where communication becomes important. If something that makes sense and should work doesn't, then don't immediately dismiss it as another failure. Try to get in touch with the author of the idea or method. And discuss why it didn't work with you.

I'm saying this more for the benefit of any newbies than someone who understands these issues.

> Therefore, it falls to those that can, to come up with rules of thumb based
> on testing and to make information on what they discovered available to the
> larger community.
>
> Else ... using old and likely invalid myths is all there is.

Sure. Just don't let a rule of thumb that works for someone else become your myth. Analyze it, understand WHY it works, then see if it would help. Many times it does. If nothing else it builds the body of experience that allows you in future to immediately recognize a known situation and solve the problem "on the spot". And impress the heck out of whoever is paying the bills!

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto