Re: Which one is better? Oracel 9i or DB2 7.2??

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 11:24:00 +1000

In article <3CD3E4A1.C2E4B155_at_ca.ibm.com>, you said (and I quote):
> Hopefully this discussion doesn't drift into the old "different code for
> different platform" dispute.

It ain't old, Serge. Everytime I open my DB2 doco it jumps back at me! ;-)

> My answer to that would be the same as always:
> The different DB2 code approach does have an advantage for that platform as
> indicated by Orcale not being able to successfully sell on that hardware with
> the unix developed Oracle DBMS.

No sweat. Let's just not use the "different code bases" routine when talking about Oracle. That was the issue. You and I and many others know that DB2 is, was and always will be multiple code base. Issues of optimization come into it. Fine. Not a problem. Let's just not use the SAME argument as a "disadvantage" of another product.

Also, a point might be raised that Oracle considers selling in "that hardware" completely irrelevant and not even worth an effort. If IBM wants to carry that weight in their product line, fine. Others don't have to do it or be as committed. After all, it wasn't their mistake. ;-)

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto