Re: http://www.hjrdba.com/

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 4 May 2002 11:41:04 -0500

On Fri, 03 May 2002, smckeown_at_earthlink.net wrote:

> if you worked for Intel in the US and invented a new chip, guess who
> owns the patent? Right, Intel, not you. Is that fair? Absolutely.
> If you think you could have invented that chip without all the capital
> outlay that Intel provided you as an employee (computers, labs,
> documentation, fellow employees, telephones, healthcare, whatever),
> then you should have quit your job and done it on your own. Then the
> patent is all yours.
>
> A site like Howard's wouldn't be much different. Howard, by virtue of
> being an Oracle employee, is privy to vast amounts of information not
> available to the general public. He has free access to Oracle
> University materials, free access to other Oracle-employed experts,
> internal Oracle-only documentation, and gets to hone his skills on
> Oracle's nickel as an instructor. Clearly, Howard's writings (though
> insightful and original) directly benefitted from his status as an
> Oracle employee. Could he have produced those same writings had he
> not been employed by Oracle? Maybe, but that's a tough one to prove.
> So yes, Oracle owns what he's produced, as well they should.

If I understand the issue correctly), your comments have nothing to do with the conversation because ownership of the site wasn't the issue

But, just to answer you, there are plenty of people outside of Oracle who know alot more about Oracle than plenty of people that work for that corporation. Is Jonathan Lewis also an employee of Oracle? I don't know, I didn't know Howard was so maybe Jonathan is also. Is Steve Adams an employee of Oracle? These guys are people way more talented at Oracle than most people inside that corporation. (Of course, there are extremely talented people within its walls as well, I'm just talking about the bulk of people). How did these people get so good? They read, tested, wrote thousands upon thousands of lines of SQL, tkprof'd themselves silly ...

The fact that Howard is so knowledgeable about Oracle has alot less to do with what he is privy to and much more to do with the fact that he is Howard. How many times did Howard author some post showing he had been installing the latest version of Oracle on his machine and trying out stuff? This is something anybody can do, cause we all have access to technet. But, it is something Howard did, and did regularly.

--
Galen deForest Boyer