Re: Error: ORA-01034, ORA-09243, ORA-02042

From: Chris Weiss <chris_at_hpdbe.com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 23:04:24 -0400

Since the client software is available for free from http://technet.oracle.com I would recommend upgrading. However, it sounds like there is a problem with your database. The errors you list are fatal:

ORA-01034 ORACLE not available

Cause: Oracle was not started. Possible causes include the following:

  a.. The SGA requires more space than was allocated for it.

  b.. The operating-system variable pointing to the instance is improperly defined.

Action: Refer to accompanying messages for possible causes and correct the problem mentioned in the other messages. If Oracle has been initialized, then on some operating systems, verify that Oracle was linked correctly. See the platform-specific Oracle documentation.

ORA-09243 smsget: error attaching to SGA Cause: SGA may not have been created (database not started).

Action: See OSD error accompanying this message.

Good luck!

--
Chris Weiss