Re: http://www.hjrdba.com/

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 3 May 2002 20:52:06 -0500

On 3 May 2002, peter.sharman_at_oracle.com wrote:

> Let's make this 100% clear. Neither Oracle Press books nor exam cram
> books from any other companies are officially sanctioned by Oracle.
> They may be written by Oracle employees, but this is done under very
> strict conditions that make it abundantly clear to the author that
> their work is not supported by Oracle. In many ways, having a company
> called Oracle Press is more of a pain in the a... than anything else
> for Oracle, because everyone immediately leaps to the conclusion that
> these books are approved by Oracle.

To tell you the truth, I never knew Howard worked for Oracle. I always thought he was an independent Oracle consultant. I'm sure there was some big thing on his site telling me he worked for Oracle, but I didn't really notice it. I didn't go to his site that often, but his employee affiliation was never abundantly clear. He also never answered questions like Tom Kyte does, using the word "We" when he says what Oracle is doing.

On the other hand, if I read an "Oracle Press" book, I would expect that this is sanctioned by Oracle. It would seem "Abundantly Clear" to me, that an Oracle Press book should be santioned by Oracle, no matter how hard they try to make it "abundantly clear" that it is not.

The ruling seems a bit inconsistent to me.

--
Galen deForest Boyer