Re: Which one is better? Oracel 9i or DB2 7.2??

From: Obnoxio The Clown <obnoxio_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 20:16:54 GMT

On Fri, 03 May 2002 19:23:44 GMT, Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:

>At times, you may want to commit or roll back some changes to a table
>independently of a primary transaction's final outcome. For example, in a stock
>purchase transaction, you may want to commit a customer's information regardless
>of whether the overall stock purchase actually goes through. Or, while running
>that same transaction, you may want to log error messages to a debug table even
>if the overall transaction rolls back. Autonomous transactions allow you to do
>such tasks.

I can certainly see a great deal of pain for application maintainers who have to look after stuff like this, though. And I'd probably be in the corner of those who say that this can lead to people not thinking through the consequences of their design. I've done both the things you're after without having autonomous transactions, and quite painlessly.

("Hey, why don't we just run the whole batch in a transaction but autonomously commit/rollback every SQL statement?") Received on Fri May 03 2002 - 15:16:54 CDT