Re: Which one is better? Oracel 9i or DB2 7.2??

From: Marc Blum <marc_at_marcblum.de>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 19:36:12 GMT

On Fri, 03 May 2002 16:08:34 GMT, "The Nomad" <nobody_at_nowhere.com> wrote:

>> 1. With respect to modifying a table with a trigger on that table: Why
>didn't
>> you just put PRAGMA AUTONOMOUS_TRANSACTION between the trigger
>declaration and
>> the word BEGIN.
>
>My statements are with regards to 8i. The documentation was very clear on
>the topic of mutating tables and the fact that you couldn't do this. That
>and the fact that the trigger that I created (which worked for DB2 and
>MSSQL) caused the mutating table exception I mentioned. I never saw the
>PRAGMA you mentioned. Is this a 9i feature, or did I overlook it? I'd love
>to be able to avoid trigger crap I currently do in Oracle.

The PRAGMA AUTONOMOUS_TRANSACTION forces the function/procedure to "make a step aside" and do it's work in it's own transaction. You have to fully understand ORACLE's concurrency model. In one way it's pretty cool, because now your able to adress rows in table, your just working on. But be warned, you have to deal with all the "concurrent transactions stuff". For example you will be unable to see changes, the "main transaction" made.

>> 3. What tool were you using to create schemas where you couldn't see
>compilation
>> errors? You don't say. I don't know anyone that uses a GUI tool for schema
>> creation that doesn't work better than what you describe.
>
>It's been a while, but I believe it was either the DBA Studio or the
>Enterprise Management console. But, since it didn't work for me, I abandoned
>it for SQL Plus.

Try PL/SQL-Developer from http://www.allroundautomations.nl

It's really cool not very expensive. It's more a developer's tool and doesn't focuse so much on the DBA side of things.

regards
Marc Blum
mailto:marc_at_marcblum.de
http://www.marcblum.de Received on Fri May 03 2002 - 14:36:12 CDT