Re: Oracle 8i IO errors

From: Svend Jensen <Svend_at_OracleCare.Com>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 21:17:59 +0200

Chloe Crowder wrote:

> A problem has reared its head on one of our servers and I need some help.
>
> While loading records at the point when the process tried to create the
> index required before processing starts the following error message was
> received:
>
> SQL EXCEPTION: ORA-00603: ORACLE server session terminated by fatal error
> ORA-01114: IO error writing block to file 4 (block # 524232)
> ORA-27069: skgfdisp: attempt to do I/O beyond the range of the file
> OSD-04026: Invalid parameter passed. (OS 524232)
> ORA-01115: IO error reading block from file 4 (block # 366740)
> ORA-27069: skgfdisp: attempt to do I/O beyond the range of the file
> OSD-04026: Invalid parameter passed. (OS 366740)
> ORA-01115: IO error reading block from file 4 (block # 366740)
> ORA-27069: skgfdisp: attempt to do I/O beyond the range of the file
> OSD-04026: Invalid parameter passed. (OS 366740)
>
> I tried to create the index manually but got the same error minus the first
> line.
>
> The database is running on an NT4 server, with all disks mounted locally,
> i.e. no remote mounts, optical drives etc. Since an index was being created
> I think its probably a temporary area involved, but I can't be certain of
> this.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated, since my knowledge of Oracle could be
> fitted in a small matchbox without taking the matches out first. Ingres, I'm
> your girl, but Oracle I'm still at the floundering stage!
>
> Chloe Crowder
> The British Library

Hi

I guess; You are running with your tablespaces set to autoextent, and have not defined a max_size. Hence Oracle 'automaticaly' extented file #4 beyound the max. size the OS can handle. Then it is obvious that the db-writer cant get its work done, target is out of reach. Check the alert log, typicaly named "SID"Alrt.log, on NT placed in %ORACLE_HOME%\rdbms\trace or %ORACLE_HOME%\admin\SID\bdump.

Would help if you supply the Oracle version you use.

Similar problems seen on purly administrated systems running Solaris 6 and Oracle 805 with autoextent and no max size. Gave currupt db_block too. Sessions crash when trying to access currupt piece, typicaly by full scans.

Dont use autoextent, or at least set a max_size. You might have a little chance to fix the problem if you add a new datafile to the tablespace in question. Check the view dba_data_files.

Rgds
/Svend Received on Fri May 03 2002 - 14:17:59 CDT