Re: Oracle 8i IO errors

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 18:51:17 +0200

On Fri, 3 May 2002 09:59:59 +0100, "Chloe Crowder" <chloe.crowder_at_bl.uk> wrote:

>A problem has reared its head on one of our servers and I need some help.
>
>While loading records at the point when the process tried to create the
>index required before processing starts the following error message was
>received:
>
>SQL EXCEPTION: ORA-00603: ORACLE server session terminated by fatal error
>ORA-01114: IO error writing block to file 4 (block # 524232)
>ORA-27069: skgfdisp: attempt to do I/O beyond the range of the file
>OSD-04026: Invalid parameter passed. (OS 524232)
>ORA-01115: IO error reading block from file 4 (block # 366740)
>ORA-27069: skgfdisp: attempt to do I/O beyond the range of the file
>OSD-04026: Invalid parameter passed. (OS 366740)
>ORA-01115: IO error reading block from file 4 (block # 366740)
>ORA-27069: skgfdisp: attempt to do I/O beyond the range of the file
>OSD-04026: Invalid parameter passed. (OS 366740)
>
>I tried to create the index manually but got the same error minus the first
>line.
>
>The database is running on an NT4 server, with all disks mounted locally,
>i.e. no remote mounts, optical drives etc. Since an index was being created
>I think its probably a temporary area involved, but I can't be certain of
>this.
>
>Any help would be much appreciated, since my knowledge of Oracle could be
>fitted in a small matchbox without taking the matches out first. Ingres, I'm
>your girl, but Oracle I'm still at the floundering stage!
>
>Chloe Crowder
>The British Library

This particular file has been set to autoextend (which you can verify with select * dba_data_files where file_id = 4 Also Oracle is trying to extend it beyond the O/S limit, IIRC 4G. You need inevitably to add another datafile so
alter tablespace <tablespace_name from previous query> add datafile '<any filename> size ... M
etc.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri May 03 2002 - 11:51:17 CDT