import of BLOBs slow?

From: NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 16:23:25 GMT

We had a minor crash of one of our applications yesterday, which was writing to some BLOBs in the database.

Given that it was almost impossible to fix the BLOBs we decided to recover from last night's backup (exp).

Would be nice if Oracle had a query option for the imp command as well :)

Anyway, the export of 60K rows or so of about 800MB in total size, took about an hour. Given, that this is the first application we are using that requires the use of BLOBs, and that we expect this table to grow to gigs of data few months from now, it worries me that the recovery times might become too long down the line. Maybe I am just being paranoid, since the import occured at high load times (almost 100% cpus were utilized), but I'd like to hear if anybody had similar experiences and had any interesting findings.

Right off the bat, I probably should have disabled logging on the LOBs, and if there is no easy solution, consider partitioning the table in the future..

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanx.
We use Oracle 8.1.7.3 on Solaris 2.7 boxes remove NSPAM to email Received on Fri May 03 2002 - 11:23:25 CDT