Re: Which one is better? Oracel 9i or DB2 7.2??

From: Dave Thompson <thompd_at_guppi.net>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 15:43:05 GMT

> In article <3CD25A7B.854E4BF7_at_nospam.for.me>, you said (and I quote):
>
> > What about for instance log file replication (with Oracle you need to buy extra
> > expensive third party products),
>
> Oh no you most definitely do not!

Oracle9i provides this functionality out of the box. I've yet to find an engineer at IBM that can tell me how to do any sort of high-availability with their database product on Linux.

> > > Oracle: un-privileged id under UNIX
> > > DB2: needs "root" privilege
> >
> > hardly a pro for Oracle

Hardly a pro for Oracle? The DBA should be able to manage the database without needing the SA at every step of the way.

Look at how you have to manage users in DB2 versus Oracle. In oracle, there are users defined in the database, so the DBA can do his job managing the database and not need to also be the system admin. With DB2, it seems that there is a much less clear separation between the DBA and the SA. This is not a good thing.

Thus, I think you probably meant to say that this is a big minus for DB2.

And, I haven't even seen anybody bring up the point that DB2 claims to support SQL stored procedures in version 7.2, and yet using stored procedures requires you to have a C compiler installed on the server. Despite all the asinine things I've seen in DB2, this one is definitely over the edge. Received on Fri May 03 2002 - 10:43:05 CDT