Cunning Plan

From: Ralph <rlro99_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 3 May 2002 05:48:46 -0700

Hi all,

We have a cunning plan for our architecture and I am interested to know if anybody can see any obvious gotchas before we go any further and I end up looking a bit of a Baldrick?.

Our prod system (8.1.7.3) currently runs on a cluster of two E6500s using Veritas Cluster Server using a shared hitachi HDS9900 SAN. When one of these boxes has a "Microcode Error" and falls over, the other box picks up and we are running quite nicely again in about 5 mins. In addition to this we run another E6500 in another datacentre about 50 miles away and ship logs to a standby database for diaster recovery purposes. All this works well, but everytime we are required to increase capacity we need 3x CPU and 2x Oracle Licence.

We want to change this so that we drop the second machine from the cluster and cluster to the DR machine instead. A "Dark Fibre" link has reacently been installed between the two data centres and we aim to replicate the data between the two SAN's using this link and do away with the standby database. In the event of failover presumably we can just startup the instance on the DR box and reverse the replication between the two SANS.

This will save us hardware, software and eliminate the potential data loss in activating the standbay database?

What do you think? This will involve us spending quite a few quid just to set up for testing purposes, I can't see a problem...

Thanks for your time.

Ralph. Received on Fri May 03 2002 - 07:48:46 CDT