Re: Cloning installation by copying files

From: Trifon Anguelov <trifona_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 04:23:24 GMT

Naru,

You can tar $ORACLE_BASE/. and untar it on the different machine. Keep the same directory structure. Move also /var/opt/oracle files. In /usr/local/bin there are sone files too. I have done it many times for QA and dev boxes.

However, if you have multiple Oracle installations on the new box that might be a problem since the Oracle inventory will be messed up. On production boxes and if you want to be safe, use the Installer. One hour more could save you troubles down on the road.

Check the latest Oracle DBA forums at:
http://www.dbaclick.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi

Hope that helps,

Trifon Anguelov