Data Warehouses & Indexes on 9i

From: Carole Kaufman <carolek_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 2 May 2002 19:12:27 -0700

We're building a traditional star schema data warehouse which loads every hour even during active query use.

What indexing strategy do you recommend for the dimension tables (index b-tree / bitmap all fields depending on cardinality?) some fields? only FK fields?

What indexing strategy do you recommend for the fact table? Bitmap joiners with all FK keys?

What indexing strategy do you recommend we stay away from? Do I have to be careful with indexes if I'm loading and querying at the same time?

Is there an average % of index to data for data warehouses? Or is it all over the board?

Thanks,

Carole Received on Thu May 02 2002 - 21:12:27 CDT