Re: Blocks in DBA_TABLES and DBA_SEGMENTS

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 09:09:03 +1000

Dba_segments will show the total number of blocks allocated to a segment, used or unused. Blocks in dba_tables shows the blocks below the High Water Mark (or, rather more accurately in 9i, blocks which would be read by a full table scan). Empty_blocks shows you the number of blocks which are above the high water mark (or, again, in 9i, blocks which won't be read by a full table scan).

Bold prediction: add blocks and empty_blocks together in dba_tables, and the total will match what you get listed as blocks in dba_segments.

Regards