Re: LOST DataBase Password

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 08:28:44 +1000

"Sean M" <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net> wrote in message news:3CD1BB2E.38E9A6CC_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net...
> "Howard J. Rogers" wrote:
> >
> > You snipped out the rather larger paragraph that makes it abundantly
clear
> > that I'm not pleading innocence at all.
>
> Wait, what did I snip? Look below - I included every word of your
> original post, save the one sentence "Can't we just try and be helpful
> or silent?". I don't see how that one brief sentence is 1) a "rather
> larger paragraph" or 2) makes it abundantly clear that you're not
> pleading innocence.

No, you didn't snip anything. My apologies. The rather large paragraph is indeed included. It made it clear, I thought, I wasn't pleading innocence.

> > I've just seen this group degenerate over the past, oh, say four months,
> > into a never ending stream of smart-assed one liner comments from a
small
> > band of regular posters. And I don't think that's good for anyone.
> >
> > It didn't used to be like that (it's always had its moments, of course).
>
> As for the group degenerating in the last four months, I'm skeptical
> (e.g. your "don't be bloody stupid!" comment was posted in January of
> 2001).

Care to include what else I posted with that comment (which I presume was from January 2002, not 2001)? I can't say I didn't just shoot that one-liner and leave it at that, because I might have done. But I doubt it. I usually make a point of going on to the substantive matter.

>I think this group is what it is... mostly helpful, mostly
> beneficial, sometimes useless (or worse - just plain wrong), often
> cranky, and at times downright mean. But that's a pretty good
> description of most of Usenet. You get what you pay for.

Regards
HJR