Re: compress/compact database?

From: Sean M <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 16:30:44 -0600

Sergey Adamenko wrote:

> If your datafiles are stored on NTFS partition under NT/W2000, you can set
> 'Compressed' attribute for your datafiles.
> I do so when working with some of my testing DB: Oracle work pretty good.
> But there is performance cost you would pay when intensive
> WRITE-to-datafiles operations will occure. Later this will cause
> considerable fragmentation on the OS partiotion.

Wait, isn't this a really bad idea? I mean, when you add a regular datafile to an Oracle tablespace, it's pretty much empty and therefore highly compressible. So you could theorectically add a bunch of huge (empty!) datafiles to a compressed drive without any problems and fill it. But what happens when you actually try to fill those datafiles with data? There's no room left on the disk.... I'd assume you'd get some nasty errors. So what's the point of the compression? I'd be surprised if it's even supported.

Regards,
Sean Received on Thu May 02 2002 - 17:30:44 CDT