Re: Databases in a server box

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 19:36:50 GMT

NoName wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am MS SQL DBA in a large company. In SQL servers, we have 20-50 databases
> in each box, but in Oracle servers, only one database in each Unix box, even
> for very small databases (a hundred MB). Is that supposed to be? Can't or
> Shouldn't Oracle server host more databases? Thanks.

In addition to the good advice you have received below I would suggest that you invest some time in learning more about Oracle. Not only does the word "database" mean two different things. But your knowledge of temp tables, commits, locking, transactions, and many other things do not translate into Oracle. That which you know from SQL Server will only cause you grief, or worse, in Oracle. This is not like word processors sold by different companies: These are entirely different products and the similarities are mostly superficial.

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu May 02 2002 - 14:36:50 CDT