Re: Help!! Oracle Application Crash

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 19:18:09 GMT

stinky wrote:

> Daniel Morgan wrote:
>
> >Unknown wrote:
> >
> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>I have, rather "HAD" an Oracle Database v. 7.3 running on NT crash.
> >>
> >>The good news is, the database instances were on D drive.
> >>
> >>I re-installed Oracle back to C drive, but do not know how to create a
> >>new instance, and point Oracle to the still intact database files on D
> >>drive.
> >>
> >>I have a backup of the init<SID>.ora file, as well as the control files,
> >>but do not know how use these to recover the database.
> >>
> >>Please help this newbie, cause all of my PL/SQL code in stored in the
> >>DB.
> >>
> >>Thank you.
> >>
> >>Sincerely,
> >>Christopher C. Keeler
> >>

> >The best help I can give you is to NEVER store all of your PL/SQL code in
> >any one place. Doing so stands on a fine line between masochistic and
> >suicidal.
> >

> I'm curious. Where else would you keep your PL/SQL code, if not in the
> database?
>

> >Have you tried starting the listener?
> >
> >c:\oracle\ora81\bin>lsnrctl start
> >
> >Does it start?
> >
> >c:\oracle\ora81\bin>lsnrctl status
> >
> >Can you get into server manager?
> >
> >c:\oracle\ora81\bin>svrmgrl
> >
> >Can you connect?
> >
> >SVRMGR> connect internal
> >
> >Can you run a simple SQL statement?
> >
> >SVRMGR> select count(*) from tab$;
> >
> >If you get any errors report back the full error text not just the number.
> >
> >Daniel Morgan

In addition to the source code in the database one should keep their source code in version control software such as Visual Source Safe, PVCS, Oracle Designer, etc. or reverse engineer the database using Designer, ERWin, Visio, etc.

Then I usually keep one copy on an off-site server which can often be easily accomplished by compressing it with a tool like WinZip or WinRAR and then emailing it to myself so that it resides on an entirely different server. I have a friend that keeps free email accounts like those at yahoo.com just for the purpose of archiving source code and being able to download it from multiple sites as he goes from location to location.

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu May 02 2002 - 14:18:09 CDT