Re: Impact upon Capacity of upgrade to Oracle 9i

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 2 May 2002 09:25:43 -0700

In article <37d1484c.0205020719.2f228fbd_at_posting.google.com>, john.watson_at_eu.nabgroup.com says...

>We are currently running Oracle 8 and 8i for a number of databases on
>the Sun E10k platform (at present Oracle 8 for a very large warehouse
>implementation on a large E10k domain running on Solaris 2.6). I'm
>interested in getting some idea of the likely capacity implications
>(i.e. in terms of additional processor, memory and disk
>requirements)of upgrading 8 to 9i and 8i to 9i.
>
>I believe that there may be a significant increase in these
>requirements but I'd like to be able to get some quantification of
>this.
>
>Any help would be gratefully received!

There is undoubtedly going to be an increase in disk space requirements because the kernel is bigger. We could of course make it smaller if you don't mind us removing functionality rather than adding it! ;)

As far as the database files are concerned, the only real difference should be in the size of the SYSTEM tablespace. More PL/SQL code, bigger SYSTEM tablespace. Wouldn't it be nice if we could have a SYSTEM2 tablespace and move things like SOURCE$ and AUD$ to it? ;)

CPU and memory wise I think you should be better off if anything. Changes to the library code and so on mean that the kernel is more modular and tighter so you should be able to do the same thing in smaller chunks of memory. But then again I don't have a real big system to test any of this stuff on. Of course, if you take an existing application and add new 9i functionality while retaining all the old functionality there will be a change in the amount of resources used. YMMV yaddah yaddah yaddah.

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Thu May 02 2002 - 11:25:43 CDT