Re: Which one is better? Oracel 9i or DB2 7.2??

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 14:36:47 +0100

"Robert Sundström" <robert.sundstrom_at_upright.se> wrote in message news:aar9pr$slv$1_at_yggdrasil.utfors.se...
> Making sure you system can be supported by at least two vendors does not
> automatically mean it must run on every database system out there.

I know this is probably just a matter of opinion, but I side with Jim. What I would want from a system is that it first of all works and second of all performs as well as it can. It is impossible to achieve the second and write Database independent code 9defined as code that runs unchanged on more than one commercial RDBMS). In any case migrations of data from one platform to another almost never come as a result of disatisfaction with the RDBMS but with the application. They will in any case require an application change (or 8) in any case.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA