Re: Oracle 8.0 -> Oracle 9i

From: Guyon Moree <gumuz_at_looze.net>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 10:51:15 +0200

I totally agree with you, but it's just not an option....

First, systems change, operating systems change... you have to keep up.

But what is also very important is that we are no real technical Oracle guys, so the customers to which we deploy our software get their own support contract for Oracle. If we deploy an old database to our customers and they get into troubles we can't solve... we're screwed.

so,... again.. I agree, but it's not an option unfortunately.

thanx

"Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote in message news:aaqq88$t1q$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz...
> If everything is working as you need it to, and if performance is fine,
and
> if you have no need to enhance or redevelop.... why then: stick to 8.0.
>
> "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is the phrase I'm looking for.
>
> Of course, the lack of on-going support is a bit of a bummer, but if you
> rarely need support....
>
> Honestly, I can' see why you'd think of upgrading unless you *needed* to.
> Particularly if the upgrade process breaks so many things on which you
rely.

> On the other hand: at some point, maybe years from now, an upgrade will be
> inevitable. So if an upgrade now breaks so much, it sounds like you need
> get version independent quickly.
>
> Regards
> HJR
>
> "Guyon Moree" <gumuz_at_looze.net> wrote in message
> > ok, here's the deal,
> >

> > i have a question for you guys. at the moment i am still using Oracle
8.0
> > server. It's great! I have this small set of Enterprise Manager Tools
and
> > can do everything i want with it. It's a great database and i just need
> the
> > Oracle database stuff like tables,triggers, procs and functions. _that's
> > all_
> >
> > now i recently got a copy of Oracle 9i.... it has become a nightmare.
all