Re: memory leak/overuse

From: Leon <lrzhemov_at_SHAW.CA>
Date: 2 May 2002 01:10:55 -0700

Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<ulm0du8btjam14ev50bloe6bcivqg75ga0_at_4ax.com>...
> On 1 May 2002 13:40:59 -0700, lrzhemov_at_shaw.ca (Leon) wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I am having problem with memory usage on linux
> >output from top:
> >Mem: 1036292K av, 1033164K used, 3128K free, 1409644K shrd, 204304K
> >buff
> >Swap: 2048136K av, 7752K used, 2040384K free 34112K cached
> >Under havy usage 200 connections from web server number of buff goes
> >to 20MB and swap used goes to 130 MB.
> >
> >System hangs
> >
> >No error messages in alert file.
> >
> >With database reboot memory gets free back to normal.
> >
> >Could you please suggest how to identify to reason for this memory
> >leak, how to fix a problem without rebooting DB
> >
> >Thanks
> >Leon
>

> If you are using dedicated server connections to the database (which
> you could easily check using v$session_connect_info) at this number of
> users you definitely need to setup MultiThreaded Server. MTS consists
> of a few dispatchers and a variable number of shared servers (much
> less than the 200 you mention) and hence will use less memory. You
> will need to increase your shared pool though as the uga and pga are
> relocated to the shared pool with MTS.
> More than 50 connections is definitely a reason to go for mts.
> You set up mts in the mts_dispatchers parameter in init<sid>.ora
>
> Hth
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Hi Sybrand,

Thanks for your feedback. I agree MTS will limit number of dedicated servers and therefore memory usage.

But I am not sure that MTS will dispatch clients better then weblogic application server. In case if I need to choose between web server connection pooling dispatcher and the database to limit customer connections I would choose web server.
Please let me know if you think MTS will work better. In case if weblogic is OK I just need to know how fat single user connection could be and set up limit on weblogic servers accordingly.

Thanks
Leon Rzhemovskiy
Database Architect Received on Thu May 02 2002 - 03:10:55 CDT