Re: Oracle 8.0 -> Oracle 9i

From: Guyon Moree <gumuz_at_looze.net>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 09:37:46 +0200

ok, thanx for somewhat answering my question anyway :)

the problem is that I was allways a little bit sceptic about all the ultra cool new (internet) features etc.... i don't need it.

but because we're now 2 versions behind and also the support is slipping away.... better late, then never.

thanx

"RSH" <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:3u4A8.1653$6T5.172657_at_bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> This is one of those question types we, in general, agreed on a cease-fire
> upon, correct?
>
> In general, it is extremely advisable to study everything that comes with
> even a dot.release, starting with the 'oh we forgot this' loose pages, and
> then the ICG (Installation and Configuration Guide), which may have
"Beware
> of the Leopard" on page 48, as well as little bon mots such as "of course
> prior to this, you will have installed and verified NCR Patches 3462311,
> 6854333, etc, without which, of course, asynchronous file i/o, yadda yadda
> yadda" will cease to function, will suddenly do odd and generally
> undesirable things, or cause the entire install process to be a bad
> experience.
>
> The time to find this out is not an hour before the beginning of your
> scheduled downtime for your Oracle patch / upgrade. Having found Beware of
> the Leopard's and on Saturday mornings over breakfast, after California
Red
> Labelled the stuff in for me, I can't tell you how important it is to read
> it all first.
>
> Something like
>
> "This has been certified on all platforms except those running UNIX in the
> Eastern United States" always add excitement to one's breakfast.
>
> RSH.
>

> "Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > Guyon Moree wrote:
> >
> > > ok, here's the deal,
> > >
> > > i have a question for you guys. at the moment i am still using Oracle
> 8.0
> > > server. It's great! I have this small set of Enterprise Manager Tools
> and i
> > > can do everything i want with it. It's a great database and i just
need
> the
> > > Oracle database stuff like tables,triggers, procs and functions.
_that's