Re: Oracle 8.0 -> Oracle 9i

From: RSH <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 05:51:59 GMT

This is one of those question types we, in general, agreed on a cease-fire upon, correct?

In general, it is extremely advisable to study everything that comes with even a dot.release, starting with the 'oh we forgot this' loose pages, and then the ICG (Installation and Configuration Guide), which may have "Beware of the Leopard" on page 48, as well as little bon mots such as "of course prior to this, you will have installed and verified NCR Patches 3462311, 6854333, etc, without which, of course, asynchronous file i/o, yadda yadda yadda" will cease to function, will suddenly do odd and generally undesirable things, or cause the entire install process to be a bad experience.

The time to find this out is not an hour before the beginning of your scheduled downtime for your Oracle patch / upgrade. Having found Beware of the Leopard's and on Saturday mornings over breakfast, after California Red Labelled the stuff in for me, I can't tell you how important it is to read it all first.

Something like

"This has been certified on all platforms except those running UNIX in the Eastern United States" always add excitement to one's breakfast.

RSH. "Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3CD00DD9.BBF669CA_at_exesolutions.com...
> Guyon Moree wrote:
>
> > ok, here's the deal,
> >
> > i have a question for you guys. at the moment i am still using Oracle
8.0
> > server. It's great! I have this small set of Enterprise Manager Tools
and i
> > can do everything i want with it. It's a great database and i just need
the
> > Oracle database stuff like tables,triggers, procs and functions. _that's
> > all_
> >
> > now i recently got a copy of Oracle 9i.... it has become a nightmare.
all my