Home -> Community -> Usenet -> c.d.o.server -> Re: How do I delete a data file from a tablespace but still keep its data into other data files of this tablespace?

Re: How do I delete a data file from a tablespace but still keep its data into other data files of this tablespace?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 12:57:13 +1000

You can't.

Once a datafile has been added to a tablespace, it's there for good. The best you can do is (if it's empty) resize it to some ridiculously small size.

Alternatively, query dba_segments to see what's in the tablespace. Then export each and every one of those segments. Then drop the tablespace INCLUDING CONTENTS. The re-create the tablespace, and then import from the previous export.

If you've got 8i or above, you can dispense with the export/import routine: just 'alter table X move tablespace Y' for all the tables (assuming only tables are involved), then drop and re-create the tablespace, then move everything back again.

Regards