Large number of columns

From: Andy <enzoweb_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1 May 2002 19:26:41 -0700

The Oracle Version is V806, running on Solaris, block size is 8k.

I have just started work at a site where they have a legacy application converted to Oracle, with no analysis done, it was just picked up and dropped in.

Consequently there are over 50 tables which have over 250 columns. There are a couple with over 300 columns.

What, if any, impact will this have on performance? I have done an analyze on chained rows and there are amazingly very few, whereas I expected a lot. PCTFREE is the default of 10.

Do I need to worry about this, or can I leave them? I thought about splitting the tables up, which would only result in queries having to do joins. So what is worse, large number of columns on one table or having to join 4/5 tables?

If the tables are properly indexed, would the number of columns matter?

Thanks. Received on Wed May 01 2002 - 21:26:41 CDT