Re: Long Datatype

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 23:13:49 +0200

On Wed, 1 May 2002 15:10:34 -0400, "Rayden" <durlecht_at_remove-this.msu.edu> wrote:

>I am running oracle 8i and 9i....i have a java program that uses JDBC to
>connect to the database. My question is (application question) is that i
>would like to do a "insert into....select ... statement".....however i have
>a column in the table that is Long and HAS to be long (meaning i cant
>reduced it down to varchar(4000) ). however if i do reduce it, it works
>because there isnt a limitation on the varchars like the Longs have. so the
>million dollar question is.....can i make this work (with the long
>column)?????
>
>thanks,
>
>timis

Longs have been deprecated in 8.0 and exists only for backwards compatility. LOBs (in your case a CLOB) don't have the long limitations, please use a CLOB instead of a long.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Wed May 01 2002 - 16:13:49 CDT