Re: is it possible to get 8i to work on redhat 7.2?

From: Fester <festernboyle_at_myself.com>
Date: 1 May 2002 12:58:37 -0700

ganesh_at_gtfs-gulf.com (Ganesh Raja) wrote in message news:<a8aed4.0204300452.72c4e4ce_at_posting.google.com>...

> Hi,

> Check

> http://www.learninglinux.com/article.php?sid=44

> This is a tep by step guide to installing Oracle on linux.

> This should work.. It worked for me.

> HTH

> Regards,

> Ganesh R

> Richard Kuhler <noone_at_nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<Abkz8.73434$zN.38028957_at_twister.socal.rr.com>...

> > You probably need ...

> > export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5

> > > Stan <stan0074_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3CCA1945.3060208_at_yahoo.com>...

Well, thanks to all of you (Stan, richard, Ganesh) who have tried to help me. I guess I am just beyond help however... I thought for a bit I was going to owe Ganesh (and Renjith - author of that web page) some donuts. At least netasst ran once. It was likely just an aberration, the alignment of planets it appears. It seems I have just created more and more broken installs.

At this point I think I'll conclude that a nice, solid, current-with-all-patches version of Redhat 7.2 will not run oracle's GUI tools. Maybe some threads library issue. Perhaps we'll go back to redhat 6.2 so we can avail ourselves of tech support. Or run it on 7.2 with no graphical tools.

This is rather bogus really. It appears oracle has created their own jre install to solve prior problems. It doesn't matter if I run IBM's or blackdown's java, since the software runs jre out of $ORACLE_BASE. I've tried substituting installs, cheating with links, etc. No cheese there.... Wish I understood java better.

Oracle, perhaps curses is the answer, give me a vt100 window and menu system that works. Dump java and go with X? argh, I am tired of installing and need to move on.

Fester Received on Wed May 01 2002 - 14:58:37 CDT