Re: Long Datatype

From: Mike Jay <mikejay_at_mitre.org>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 15:31:27 -0400

Regarding Oracle8i version:

LONG datatype can only be used in INSERT ... VALUES ... statements, one of the restrictions on the LONG datatype is that it cannot be used in an INSERT ... SELECT ... statement.

Does anybody have a URL pointing to the 8.1.7 copy of the:

Oracle8i Application Developer's Guide - Fundamentals Release 2 (8.1.6)
Part Number A76939-01

as I could only find "New Features" type docs and Java stuff on OTN for the 8.1.7 version.

Is there a new document for 8.1.7 or is the 8.1.6 still in effect.

Specifically, have any release notes impacting the "Using the LONG Datatype" paragraph been issued that would supersede or break the statement:

"You can use columns defined as LONG in SELECT lists, SET clauses of UPDATE statements, and VALUES clauses of INSERT statements. LONG columns have many of the characteristics of VARCHAR2 columns."

Restrictions on the LONG datatype would be in this same document, but I have only the 8.1.6 version.

Thanks,
mikejay