Re: Oracle 8i and Windows 2000 Server

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: 1 May 2002 11:58:08 -0700

SQL*Plus is telling you that an Oracle instance has not been started on your local machine. If you've installed the demonstration database all you need do is start it; check Services to see if the OracleServicexxxx (where xxxx is the instance name) is started. Most likely it is set to Manual; change this to Automatic, start the service and see if you can then connect successfully. If not, you'll need to use svrmgrl to start it:

C:\>svrmgrl

Oracle Server Manager Release 3.1.6.0.0 - Production

Copyright (c) 1997, 1999, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.6.3.0 - Production With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 8.1.6.3.0 - Production

SVRMGR> At the SVRMGR> prompt connect internal and hit return. You SHOULD get a message stating "Connected". The SVRMGR> prompt should return. At this prompt type startup; if the registry settings are correct the instance should start. If not, you'll need to exit svrmgrl (by typing 'exit' at the SVRMGR> prompt). At the command prompt type: set ORACLE_SID=xxxx, where xxxx is the name found in the OracleService entry. Then start svrmgrl again, and follow the instructions provided at the top of this paragraph.

If you didn't install the demonstration database you'll need to create one, or have access to an Oracle instance on a network. To create a database bring up the Database Configuration Assistant [Start->Programs->Oracle ...->Database Administration->Database Configuration Assistant] and create a new instance by following the instructions on the screens.