Re: Oracle 8i and Windows 2000 Server

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 16:42:41 GMT

Shum wrote:

> Hi, I am new to this so please bare with me....
>
> I have installed Oracle 8i on a Windows 2000 Server Domain Controller.
> Everytime I go to log in through Oracle SQL *Plus I get the following error:
>
> ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist.
>
> All help is greatly appreciated.!

It sounds to me like you didn't read and follow the installation instructions.

Verify that the ORACLE_SID environment variable is set and points to a valid 8.1.7 database that is up and running. Verify the listener is up with lsnrctl status and that the database is up by connecting through server manager (svrmgrl followed by connect internal followed by a SQL statement such as select sysdate from dual).

Daniel Morgan Received on Wed May 01 2002 - 11:42:41 CDT