Re: Which one is better? Oracel 9i or DB2 7.2??

From: Robert Dean <noemail_at_hatespam.spam>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 09:07:29 -0500

The primary point for saying "use the standards" is that it would enable to original poster to not experience vendor lock-in. The primary danger in utilizing the "extra" features of any particular product is that it makes the cost of jumping off that product higher. I've seen this happen for other software products a lot... vendor gets their foot in the door, gets the customer to depend on the product, and then raises the price. The customer must either spend the extra money on support/upgrades, or spend a lot more money to convert to a competitive product.

However, I think it makes sense to use the "extra" features when they provide an extra compelling value to the application, that can't be done simply or cheaply using just the standards.

Robert