What compression utility?

From: J.P. <jp_boileau_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 1 May 2002 06:23:48 -0700

Hey all,

I'm wondering what kind of compression utility (command-line based) that y'all use to back-up your Oracle DB's under Win-NT. (I'm running 8.1.7 here).

The only one I've been able to use is the old PKZIP with the compatibility ( "-=" ) option, which allows me to zip up the tablespaces while they are open AND in backup mode.

I've tried numerous other comand-line based compression tools, but none of them can handle the fact that the files are open, even if inactive.

The problem I run into with PKZIP is the issue with the long filenames. Yes, Yes, Yes, I have tried the latest PKZIP that supposedly handles long filenames, but it doesn't have the compatibility "-=" option that I need to back up the files.

Any thoughts on this?

JP Received on Wed May 01 2002 - 08:23:48 CDT