Re: Can I do a join as part of an Update

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 21:27:27 +1000

In article <srrucustje3p10s6sttbv0dfuoho9vsjra_at_4ax.com>, you said (and I quote):
> consequences for many parties, including the government. Customers
> office seems to be very luxurious though, so maybe we should talk them
> into an upgrade. Does Oracle have any plans to discontinue VMS
> support?

Ahhh! VMS. The magic OS. Lovely memories. Will never forget the day I typed:
del [SYS$SYSTEM...]*.*.* instead of
del [SYS$ORACLE...]*.*.*
when I was logged in as user SYSTEM. Took me a while to realize what I had done, then I called in the sysadmin and showed him what I had executed. His face went white and he said nothing for a while. Then he mumbled "you're dead!" and chased me up for a couple of minutes! Thank God he was a friend, otherwise I'd have been indeed dead... :-)

I don't think Oracle will desupport it anytime soon. The Compaq stuff with those awfully fast DEC Alpha CPU's is still being produced at the rate of knots. And there are a LOT of sites out there with them. NT and Dec's Unix have made some inroads, but there is still heaps of VMS in important places. Health is a BIG user of the stuff here.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto