Re: separate data/inidex

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 21:16:37 +1000

In article <1e8276d6.0204300513.3ac8b944_at_posting.google.com>, you said (and I quote):

> Sperry made a disc drives ? I know only few peaceful products from
> them like bomb ranging system (UK and US bombers in WWII), ranging
> system for cruise missiles and ICBMs.
> ... and of course tons of aviation equipment like speedometers,
> artificial horizons and altitude meters (in unlucky cases also
> fathometer).

Arrrgh!!!! Sperry made EVERYTHING!
<sorry, an old "Spurryous Computer Systems boffin speaking here...>

They were one of the largest suppliers of advanced equipment to the Air Force, the Navy and Nasa. They made everything from missile control systems to advanced comms and general purpose computers. Then in the early 80's they hired ex-IBM top brass who proceeded to dismantle the company and merge the remains with Burroughs.

That was the birth of Unisys. And the start of making "competitive" hardware with Intel stuff. Together with the other 5 million makers out there in Taiwan-land. Makes a lot of long term sense: offload all the technical nous that makes a company unique and become another anonymous maker.

No surprise: they mostly vanished. But I'm quite sure the "management geniuses" who presided over all this crap are nowadays very expensive consultants. Or something.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto