Re: MS SQLServer to Oracle data migration - info needed

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 10:57:49 +0100

> > I have been asked to look at migrating 70Gb of data from a MS
> > SQLServer system into Oracle (yay).
> >
> > My first thought is to extract the data to flat files and use SQL
> > Loader to pump it into Oracle. They will probably want to do some data
> > cleansing so there will probably be an intermediate step to do that.
> >
> > Has anyone else done a SQLServer to Oracle migration, and if so, how?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Andy
>
> Use a tool that understands both databases, eg MS Access. Attach the
> relevant tables from both databases, then create an append query to do
> the work. Voila! Oracle database populated! I use this method all the
> time to get non-Oracle data into my databases.

Um This almost exactly not the approach I'd use. It introduces a new tool for no really good reason. I'd use one of the two approaches below.

  1. Redesign the tables datatypes etc in Oracle from scratch using your favourite database design tool. Then produce sql loader scripts etc to perform the migration. IMO this is the 'correct' way to do the work as you get a properly designed and documented Oracle database as the end result. It will also take time and testing.
  2. Quick and Dirty method. Use either Oracle or Microsofts data conversion tools (Oracle Migration Workbench or DTS). These move the data in one step. You get whatever the tool you choose thinks is the best schema/datatype conversion etc but you will get the data across. You don't get a documented and optimised database out of it. I have to say I rate DTS very highly indeed but thats just a personal preference (and perhaps shows my MS/VB beginnings :-( )
--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA