Re: MS SQLServer to Oracle data migration - info needed

From: Tarik <tarik_sadat_at_amat.com>
Date: 1 May 2002 02:46:40 -0700

enzoweb_at_hotmail.com (Andy) wrote in message news:<8d4033cd.0204302052.74db2618_at_posting.google.com>...
> I have been asked to look at migrating 70Gb of data from a MS
> SQLServer system into Oracle (yay).
>
> My first thought is to extract the data to flat files and use SQL
> Loader to pump it into Oracle. They will probably want to do some data
> cleansing so there will probably be an intermediate step to do that.
>
> Has anyone else done a SQLServer to Oracle migration, and if so, how?
>
> Thanks

Andy

Use a tool that understands both databases, eg MS Access. Attach the relevant tables from both databases, then create an append query to do the work. Voila! Oracle database populated! I use this method all the time to get non-Oracle data into my databases.

Mind you, is the 70Gb in just the one table? If so Access might struggle with such a huge amount of data in one go, so you might have to break it down into more managable chunks.

Tarik Received on Wed May 01 2002 - 04:46:40 CDT