Re: Oracle 8i on RS/6000 AIX question.

From: chao_ping <chao_ping_at_163.com>
Date: 1 May 2002 06:14:30 GMT

Jayaraman Ashok wrote:
> Hi In case you are CPU bound at times, if there are more cpu waits, then
> i think that if you upgrade the number of cpus, and your disk
> controllers can not match that activity of reads/writes the problem
> would be compounded rather than mitigated. Check your disk i/o activity
> with the available controllers before decideing to upgrade. Also i
> believe that MTS (multi threaded server) helps alleviate the problems
> with the memory rather than cpu activity. Also in AIX(RS/6000-Aix 4.3.3)
> the asynchronous processes do consume more of cpu time on behalf of
> their parent oracle processes. Kindly correct me in my above suggestions
> if they are wrong.
> Regards, Ashok

I agree with ashok. If your datafiles are on jfs filesystem, io consumes a lot of cpus.In my experience, ibm is power in cpu and weak in disk io. Use iostat or vmstat to check the cpu time spent on iowait, maybe helpful. You can also run topas to get an overview of overall system performance bottleneck.

--
an oracle fan,
an oracle beginner

an oracle fan,