Re: Listener Question

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 14:13:54 +1000

"stinky" <stankonia_at_stunkitystunk.org> wrote in message news:3CCF6082.3000709_at_stunkitystunk.org...
> Here's my LISTENER.ORA:
>
> LISTENER =
> (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = my.ip.add.ress)(PORT = 1521))
> )
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC))
> )
> )
> )
>
> SID_LIST_LISTENER =
> (SID_LIST =
> (SID_DESC =
> (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
> (ORACLE_HOME = /u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7)
> (PROGRAM = extproc)
> )
> (SID_DESC =
> (GLOBAL_DBNAME = stinky817.world)
> (ORACLE_HOME = /u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7)
> (SID_NAME = stinky817)
> )
> )

First, there's absolutely no reason to have a SID_LIST in any 8.1 listener.ora file. 8i instances register themselves with the Listener. All that's needed is the 'ADDRESS' bit. This seems to be a message which is taking a very long time to filter through the general Oracle community.

> SQLNET.ORA
>
> NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES)
>

> TNSNAMES.ORA (same in both cases....extraneous stuff excised)

I wish you hadn't excised anything. It's impossible to diagnose anything if you strip out bits you *think* are extraneous, when in fact they might not be. I also wish you'd posted both tnsnames.oras and let us work out for ourselves whether they are the same in both cases.

> STINKY817 =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = my.ip.add.ress)(PORT = 1521))
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SERVICE_NAME = stinky817.world)
> )
> )

So STINKY817.world is the name of the database running on a Windows 2000 box at home. And you can connect to it fine using a Unix session from work, but you cannot connect locally at home when using a session on the same Windows 2000 box that the server is running on? Is that correct?

Please re-post both tnsnames.oras without editing anything.

Regards
HJR