Re: Security issue with Oracle 8i

From: Mike Delaney <mdelan_at_computer.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 19:40:18 -0500

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:50:31 GMT in <3CCEBD46.6D215379_at_exesolutions.com>, dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com said something similar to:
: Philip Chee wrote:

: >
: > Um, I'm a unix sysadmin and this wouldn't be enough to stop me.
: > Assuming I have the time and energy - I do wish someone would invent
: > the 28 hour day especially when deadlines loom.

:
: I would really appreciate knowing how you would approach this (in
: general).

One that immediately comes to mind:

Wait for someone who knows the password to connect, and attach a debugging tool like truss to their SQL*Plus process before they finish typing the password.

There's also the possibility of fishing the encrypted password out of the datafile and mounting a dictionary attack against it, as well as a whole host of other things (such as re-linking one or more of the binaries involved in the authentication process with some trojaned code or a backdoor).

: And why,
: having been confronted with a request for a password, you would have
: any reason to
: believe a workaround was possible.

Because root can make the system do *anything* the hardware is capable of.

--
Mike Delaney <mdelan_at_computer.org>
"...Microsoft follows standards.  In much the same manner that fish follow