Re: Finding space-bound objects?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 09:47:51 +1000

Why on Earth are you using PCTINCREASE anyway?

It's the worst invention since the Ford Edsell. Steer clear.

It's there to stop the acquisition of a bazillion extents. So is a good dba. A positive value for it is designed to clear up tablespace fragmentation -which a positive value causes. LMTs cure (by preventing) fragmentation far more effectively.

Therefore, whilst you may be right about the PCTINCREASE screwing up the space calculations in sundry scripts, the probability is that the script writers didn't think anyone was going to be mad enough to use PCTINCREASE in the first place, so didn't worry about it!

Regards