Oracle Stored Procedure Design and Performance Considerations

From: Martin Bertolino <moc.xlat_at_bxm>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:08:25 -0500

Does anybody have any thoughts on the speed impact on trying to return XML documents string representations as CLOBS from an Oracle stored procedure? We are weighing this against having some table where we insert the data we want to return, and then return a ref cursor to a query from this table.

The recordset we would return would at most have three rows and most of the time just one, with about 160 columns in it. We would the have some background thread in our application server that periodically cleans up rows that are expired.

I have been using the xmldom package to genereate the XML document, and then write to a CLOB and return it.

Are there any other alternatives to generating XML string representations in PL/SQL other than using the xmldom thar are high performance?

Thanks

Martin Bertolino Received on Tue Apr 30 2002 - 09:08:25 CDT