Re: Which one is better? Oracel 9i or DB2 7.2??

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:12:49 -0400

Nuno Souto wrote:

> In article <3CCD6A14.6090206_at_netcape.net>, you said (and I quote):
> > I'm comparing these two brand database server for our new trading system.
> > I know that both of them are famous and occupied large market share. But
> > can some tell me, or has link to the research document which can compare
> > these two products objectively.
>
> Well, it's actually written Oracle 9i, not Oracel 9i. There is a
> difference.
>
> Also, it's UDB 7.2, not DB2. According to IBM.
>
> And if you think that asking a question like that will help you make a
> decision, may I suggest IT-101 as your next port of call? :-)
>
> Seriously: get some really good techos to help you with your trading
> system and implement it on whatever their recommendation ends up being.
> And make sure that you see proof of delivery.
>
> If all that is too hard, then just buy a trading system off the shelf and
> use whatever the maker recommends. Just remember: cheap does NOT
> necessarily equate to better.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Nuno Souto
> nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam

If you are looking at the best, most stable database for a trading system, look at what a large percentage of the trading systems use: OpenVMS and Rdb (also an Oracle product - NOT RDBMS) It doesn't break and is blindingly fast. 3 of the 5 trading systems put in place last year used this combination because of 2 main factors:

Stability
Reliability
Scalability

And you don't have to reboot your box every 30 days to keep "cleaning up" the memory/system space.

I am supporting an Rdb database for a F500 company that has not been closed - for any reason - for almost 400 days now. -- and it screams!!! I wonder how many Oracle databases you see like this... my guess is - not very many.

--
Regards,

Michael Austin            Registered Linux User #261163
First DBA Source, Inc.    http://www.firstdbasource.com
Sr. Consultant
704-947-1089 (Office)
704-236-4377 (Mobile)